This website uses cookies and asks your personal data to enhance your browsing experience.

Our Articles

Expat Services in Germany

Expat Services in Germany

An expat is a person that relocates to a foreign country for a determined period. Usually, the term expat defines a person moving to Germany or to another foreign country with the purpose of developing a work-related activity. When relocating here, an expat may need to apply for a residence permit or for a visa, for a certain type of employment permit (the Germany migration law provides several categories of employment permits), register with the local authorities and deal with other legal aspects.

Since the foreigner will not live here on a permanent basis, he or she will most likely rent an apartment in this country; the person should also verify the conditions for obtaining health insurance with a local insurance provider, open a German bank account and similar matters. Prior to these aspects, the person should check the types of immigration documents needed for relocation to Germany; in this particular situation, our immigration lawyer in Germany can be of assistance.

Expats moving to Germany can receive a wide range of expat services, amongst we mention the following: legal assistance in obtaining work permits, helping in obtaining the EU Blue Card, applying for a temporary residence permit and/or for a permanent residence permit, obtaining a visa for a long-term stay or helping in the formalities applicable for family reunification programs. We can also help you obtain a residence permit in Germany.

What types of employment permits can expats obtain in Germany?

There are several categories of employment documents that can be obtained by expats, and they are divided based on the purpose of the employment. However, the Germany migration law stipulates the nationals of a wide category of third countries will also have to apply for a visa.

Persons who need to apply for a work visa can request the issuance of the document for matters such as employment in Germany where the applicant has already received an offer from a local employer, for self-employment reasons, for those who have not yet obtained a job offer, but who are seeking to become employees in German companies or for those working as au pair; additional reasons can apply and our immigration lawyer in Germany can provide further details. These can be attached to the residence permit in Germany.

What are the options of highly skilled workers moving to Germany?

Expats who fall into the category of highly skilled workers benefit from specific types of immigration documents designed to attract talent on the German labor market. Currently, foreigners interested in relocation to Germany can apply for an intra-company transfer permit, through which the employer in their home country will relocate them for a similar job position in the company’s branch office or subsidiary operating here.

The future expat relocating to this country for employment purposes can also apply for the EU Blue Card, a document that is created only for persons who have completed tertiary studies or who have an in-depth experience in their field of expertise. This type of document opens the opportunity of applying for a settlement permit, which grants additional rights to expats living here. Our immigration lawyer in Germany can present its advantages and the conditions the expat should satisfy. We can also advise on citizenship matters. Families of foreign nationals have the option of obtaining German citizenship together by applying for naturalization together with their eligible spouse or parent. Minor children and spouses who are not yet eligible for naturalization may also apply. Our immigration lawyers can also help with family reunion matters in Germany.

If you want to obtain a residence permit for Germany, contact us. We can help you obtain it through various means, however, it depends on the reasons for your relocation. Most often, employment is used to move to Germany, as it is also simpler to find an employer and have a stable income right from the beginning.

As a highly skilled worker interested in moving to Germany, a foreigner should have a solid employment offer from a local employer. One of the conditions for applying for this special type of residence permit is to have a degree diploma that can be recognized under the German law. Another relevant aspect is to obtain a job offer that is adequate to the field in which the person has received his or her diploma. Other important matters of the EU Blue Card in Germany are the following:

• the EU Blue Card is a type of residence permit that has been issued in Germany starting with the 1st of August 2012;
• the applicant must receive a job offer that is remunerated with at least EUR 55,200 (calculated as a gross annual income at the level of 2020);
• a lower remuneration, of EUR 43,056 is accepted for specific fields, such as engineering or IT, but the Federal Employment Agency in Germany has to provide its approval on each of the cases included in this category;
• the EU Blue Card is generally issued for the duration of the work contract, plus an additional 3 months;
• however, those moving to Germany under this type of permit must know that the document can be issued for a period of up to 4 years;
• the holders of the EU Blue Card can apply for a settlement permit after 33 months of living in Germany;
• the settlement permit can be issued in a shorter period of only 21 months, but only if the holders of the EU Blue Card are able to demonstrate that they have learnt German (B1 level is required).

Foreigners also have different legal options for relocating to Germany and living here as expats. Please contact our immigration lawyer in Germany for in-depth information on other ways that grant the right of living here. Our lawyer can provide step to step assistance on any client inquiry that refers to German citizenship.